As part of Sō Percussion’s A Gun Show (Nov 30—Dec 3), a percussive exploration of our nation’s obsession with guns, BAM is partnering with StoryCorps to create a platform for you to share your experiences with guns.
Please follow these simple instructions to share your story:
1. Create an account on StoryCorps.me from your desktop computer.
2. Join the BAM community Reflecting on Guns, part of A Gun Show at BAM. You can only do this from your desktop computer.
3. Download the StoryCorps.me app to your phone.
4. Prepare for your recording! You can record either a solo reflection or an interview. In either case, make sure to do a short introduction with your name(s), location, and some context.
5. Use the following prompts to guide your conversation:
- Describe your first memory of guns.
- Have you ever held a gun? If not, have you ever wanted to?
- How does gun use impact your day-to-day life in the United States?
6. When prompted to finalize and submit your recording, please use these keywords:
- ORGANIZATIONS: BAM, Brooklyn Academy of Music
- GENERAL: A Gun Show, Guns
NOTE: you must add each keyword separately. This makes it easier for other people to find and listen to your story.
7. You will also be asked to share with a community. Please select “Reflecting on Guns, part of A Gun Show at BAM”.
8. You may also share your story on social media using #AGunShow.
We invite you to continue the conversation in person with the creative team of A Gun Show and other members of the audience following the performance in the Harvey Theater on Thu, Dec 1. That evening, StoryCorps Listening Booths will be installed in the Harvey lobby, giving everyone the opportunity to listen to each other’s stories.