2014 is the Year of Lear, what with our run of Chichester Festival Theatre’s King Lear starring Frank Langella earlier this year, Theatre For a New Audience’s upcoming production directed by Arin Arbus, opening in March, and the Public Theater's recently-announced Shakespeare in the Park production this summer with John Lithgow as Lear. We see King Lear references everywhere, and would like YOU to help us capture a visual Lear using Instagram!
How to participate:
Every morning we will post a new quote from King Lear to inspire your ‘gramming for the day. The quotes will be posted below, and via the BAM (@BAM_Brooklyn) and Theatre For a New Audience (@TheatreForaNewA) Twitter and Instagram feeds. The contest runs from Wed, Jan 29 through Wed, Feb 25 at midnight.
You may post as many photos (and/or videos!) as you like inspired by each quote—feel free to be as literal or interpretive as you like, and don’t forget the #Leargram hashtag. Creativity and originality are encouraged! No prior knowledge of the play required.
We will pick two winners every Wednesday in February (Feb 5, 12, 19, and 26), and one will go on to be the grand prize winner to be announced the first week in March.
1. Wed, Jan 29: Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow! (Lear 3.2)
2. Thu, Jan 30: We have seen the best of our time (Gloucester 1.2)
3. Fri, Jan 31: Come not between the dragon and his wrath (Lear 1.1)
4. Sat, Feb 1: How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is / To have a thankless child! (Lear 1.4)
5. Sun, Feb 2: “I’ll not be strucken, my lord.” “Nor tripped neither, you base football player?” (Oswald, Kent 4.1)
6. Mon, Feb 3: Things that love night / Love not such nights as these (Kent 3.2)
7. Tue, Feb 4: I had rather be any kind o' thing than a fool! And yet I would not be thee, nuncle (Fool 1.2)
8. Wed, Feb 5: while we / Unburdened crawl toward death (Lear 1.1)
9. Thu, Feb 6: 'Tis the time's plague when madmen lead the blind (Gloucester 4.1)
10. Fri, Feb 7: Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave / My heart into my mouth (Cordelia 1.1)
11. Sat, Feb 8: The prince of darkness is a gentleman (Edgar 3.4)
12. Sun, Feb 9: Nothing can come of nothing (Lear 1.1)
13. Mon, Feb 10: That way madness lies (Lear 3.4)
14. Tue, Feb 11: Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise (Fool 1.2)
15. Wed, Feb 12:Dearer than eyesight, space, and liberty (Goneril 1.1)
16. Thu, Feb 13: That which makes me bend makes the King bow (Edgar 3.6)
17. Fri, Feb 14: do thy worst, blind Cupid! (Lear 4.6)
18. Sat, Feb 15: Why brand they us / With base? with baseness? bastardy? base, base? (Edmund 1.2)
19. Sun, Feb 16: O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven! (Lear 1.5)
20. Mon, Feb 17: Ay, every inch a king (Lear 4.6)
21. Tue, Feb 18: Thou, Nature, art my goddess (Edmund 1.2)
22. Wed, Feb 19: This cold night will turn us all to fools and madmen (Fool 3.4)
23. Thu, Feb 20: This cold night will turn us all to fools and madmen (Fool 3.4)
24. Fri, Feb 21: And worse I may be yet. The worst is not / So long as we can say 'This is the worst.' (Edgar 4.1)
25. Sat, Feb 22: They told me I was everything- 'Tis a lie (Lear 4.6)
26. Sun, Feb 23: He's mad that trusts in the tameness of a wolf (Fool 3.6)
27. Mon, Feb 24: A man may see how the world goes with no eyes (Lear 4.6)
28. Tue, Feb 25: When we are born, we cry that we are come / To this great stage of fools (Lear 4.6)
Week 1: tickets to Bedlam's Hamlet or St. Joan
Week 2: tickets to Pig Iron's Twelfth Night
Week 3: two "Send a Sonnets," courtesy of Shakespeare Anywhere
Week 4: tickets to Classic Stage Company's The Heir Apparent
The grand prize winner will receive the Ultimate Shakespeare Package:
- 2 tickets to a BAM production of your choice
- 2 tickets to a Theatre For a New Audience production of your choice
- 2 tickets to The Public Theater's King Lear at Shakespeare in the Park
- 2 tickets to Sleep No More
- 2 tickets to The Shakespeare Society's Apr 28 event
- 2 tickets to the National Theatre of China's Richard III at the Skirball Center
- a half-hour of two Shakespeare Anywhere Wandering Sonneteers.
The Fine Print:
Everyone is encouraged to participate! But to be eligible to win, you must follow BAM (@BAM_Brooklyn), TFANA (@TheatreForANewA), and The Public Theater (@publictheaterny) on Instagram, and tag all photo and video entries #Leargram. Only residents of the United States 13 years of age and older may be selected as finalists or the grand prize winner.
Click here to read the complete rules.