|Vesturport Theatre's Faust: A Love Story. Photo: Eddi|
BAM dares you to partake in a curated day centered on Vesturport Theatre’s production of Faust: A Love Story. In the spirit of this thrilling, aerialist production in which our protagonist makes a pact with the devil, we selected a few bold ideas that will take you to new heights—literally and figuratively.
- You’ll start at STREB S.L.A.M. (the STREB Lab for Action Mechanics) in Williamsburg, where you can take group or private classes in PopAction, tumbling, trapeze, tightrope, and a variety of other daredevil techniques.
- Next, dash over to nearby Gwynnett St. for adventurous modern American cuisine, with a menu that includes whiskey bread, main courses that fuse interesting and rare ingredients, as well as damningly delicious drinks and desserts.
- Your adventure continues as you attempt to make it to BAM via the infamously unreliable G (for "gamble") train.
- Assuming you make it to BAM (via the G or a desperately hailed cab), you’ll catch Faust: A Love Story, the Vesturport Theatre’s visceral, high-flying reimagining of Goethe’s classic story, featuring horror-film imagery and Nick Cave’s dark, moody score.
- We hope we don’t have to bargain with you to try Cocoa Bar’s chocolatini after the show—it’s sinfully delicious and a soothing nightcap to a day of daredevilry.
STREB S.L.A.M. is located at 51 North 1st Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 384-6491, streb.org
Gwynnett St. is located at 312 Graham Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11211
(347) 889-7004, gwynnettst.com
Faust: A Love Story, plays at the BAM Harvey Theater, located at 651 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11217, BAM.org/visit
Cocoa Bar is located at 228 7th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215
(718) 499-4080, cocoabarnyc.com