Gary Shteyngart Roast
Picked By: Adam Sachs, Fiscal Manager
1. Why the Gary Shteyngart Roast?
Why the November 20th celebration of the 10th anniversary of Gary Shteyngart's debut novel, The Russian Debutante's Handbook, where Shteyngart's friends and colleagues take shots at the beloved and critically acclaimed author of Absurdistan and Super Sad True Love Story, with Kurt Andersen, Edmund White, and Sloane Crosley, hosted by John Wesley Harding? It’s just $20. Plus, Thanksgiving is two days later and this is the perfect event with which to confound your Midwestern relatives when describing it around the dinner table.
Absolutely nothing! This is just your average run-of-the-mill Friar’s Club-style roast of a beloved comic novelist, hosted by a fellow writer who also sings under a stage name taken from a Bob Dylan song.
3. You might like this if you liked…
- Those Comedy Central roasts but find their elitist humor and references too obscure and insular.
- The Good Soldier Svejk or A Confederacy of Dunces
- Getting that free tote bag that once
4. Guilty-pleasure reason for seeing the show:
You get to experience the comfortable orchestra seating in the newly renovated BAM Harvey Theater. The new armrests are perfect for propping up your elbow so you can pinch your chin and nod knowingly at all the literary humor.
5. Final words:
Why does Gary Shteyngart write so many dust jacket blurbs for other writers? He thought he was Tweeting.